Families for Freedom (FFF) is a multi-ethnic network of immigrants formed in New York City in 2002 to respond to the devastation on our families wrought by the increases in deportation after immigration laws were drastically overhauled in 1996. Those new laws replaced a largely discretionary system with mandatory detention and deportation. FFF has worked tirelessly to ensure that those directly impacted are at the forefront of the movement to realize immigrant rights as human rights. Through organizing and uniting directly affected families, FFF mission is to create a space for support work, education and advocacy efforts that will change the unjust laws that target our communities.
Families for Freedom seeks an experienced organizer for a full-time position that will focus on retention, recruitment and base building. The organizer will work primarily with the Director. The organizer will also work closely with member leaders, and on occasion, with allies and funders.
- Recruit and build the base of members through intakes, case follow-up, and bi-weekly collective clinics.
- Conduct outreach and community education drives in at risk communities.
- Support the campaign work of member leaders, including strategic campaign development, press and media relations, and generate materials.
- Develop membership structures.
- Expand leadership development opportunities.
- Identify, train and develop member leaders.
- Build and partner with ally organizations to garner support and win campaigns.
- Provide administrative support.
- Have at least 2 years organizing and campaign experience.
- Have at least 3 years experience working with immigrant families and/or formerly incarcerated individuals.
- Must be fluent in Spanish - strong oral and written skills.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Be comfortable with a flexible work environment and able to work some night and weekends.
- Have experience in community education and public speaking.
- Respect and work for the human rights for all people.
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Competitive benefits.
How to Apply
Please send an email to employment [at] familiesforfreedom.org with an up-to-date resumé, a 1 page cover letter, and small writing sample (1-3 pages).